Prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the digestive tract, liver and pancreatico-biliary system in children and adults is the core objective of this specialty. We offer state of art endoscopic procedures for gastrointestinal bleed, gastrointestinal cancers, foreign body removal etc. The gastrointestinal surgeons manage major gastrointestinal surgical problems of the intestines, pancreas and hepatobiliary tract including cancers, many of them through minimal access surgery.
- Major surgeries for benign and malignant conditions of oesophagus, stomach, intestines, liver and pancreas are carried out routinely.
- Minimally invasive Cholecystectomy, Appendectomy, Splenectomy and Intestinal Resections are also routinely performed.
- Surgery for Hiatus Hernia and complex Biliary reconstruction surgery for bile duct strictures.
- Minimally Invasive Surgeries like basic laparoscopic procedures and advanced laparoscopic procedures like laparoscopic esophageal surgery, gastric resections, colorectal surgery, pancreatic surgery and small bowel surgery.
With the use of advanced technology and surgical methods, patients now have more options than ever for the treatment of Hepatobiliary disease. Apollo Hospitals offers Hepatobiliary surgery and comprehensive specialty care for diseases of the liver, pancreas and bile duct.
Our team of surgeons, interventional endoscopists, radiologists and hepatologists work together to provide surgical treatment for the following disorders:
- Carcinoma of the gallbladder
- Malignant tumors of the bile duct
- Bile duct injuries and strictures
- Choledochal cysts
- Recurrent pyogenic cholangitis
Disorders of the Pancreas
- Pancreatic pseudocyst
- Malignant neoplasms of the pancreas
- Cystic neoplasms of the pancreas
- Pancreatic islet cell tumors
- Hepatic trauma
- Metastatic neoplasms of the liver (Cancer originated elsewhere & spread to liver)
- Benign (Non cancerous) tumors and cysts of the liver
- Portal hypertension (portasystemic shunts)
Endoscopy is routinely performed at the Apollo Hospitals for the following conditions:
- For patients who suffer from gastrointestinal bleeding, both Banding / injection of esophageal varices and control of bleeding with adrenaline injection / argon plasma coagulation are routinely performed.
- For patients with swallowing difficulty due to esophageal stricture or achalasia, endoscopic dilatation can be carried out under fluoroscopic guidance. Similarly dilatation of pyloric and colonic strictures can also be carried out. In patients with esaphageal tumours, metallic stent placement is done, after dilatation.
- For patients for whom feeding is a problem either due to neurological disorders or altered consciousness levels, endoscopic placement of nasojejunaltube or PEG (Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy) tube is done.
- Endoscopic removal of gastric / colonic polyps is routinely done.
- For patients with obstructive jaundice, ERCP / papillatomy / stone extraction from CBD/biliary stenting (plastic as well as metal stents) can be performed.
- Placement of pancreatic stents in patients with severe pain due to chronic calcific pancreatitis is done.
- Other routine procedures like liver biopsy, aspiration of liver abscess and diagnostic and therapeutic paracentesis are done through endoscopy.
Dr. Shravan Bohra
Dr. Vipul Worah
Dr. Chirag Desai
Dr. Lakshman Khiria