Apollo Hospitals, Ahmedabad offers international quality care and treatment for various infectious diseases & medical illnesses. The department of Infectious Diseases at Apollo hospitals, Ahmedabad has a group of specialist doctors and allied health staff who are dedicated in providing patient-centred, evidence-based medical care in a clinical environment.
Infectious Diseases (ID) Specialist deals with the diagnosis and management of a wide variety of infections and has expertise in infections of the sinuses, heart, brain, lungs, urinary tract, bowel, bones and pelvic organs. Their extensive training focuses on all kinds of difficult to treat infections, including those caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. ID physicians also specialize in treating patients with infections due to Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), the cause of AIDS. The specialty is involved in providing medical travel advice including immunizations for those going to and returning from foreign destinations. Infectious diseases specialists play an active role in infection control, antibiotic stewardship and the management of healthcare-associated infections.
Geriatrics is the branch of medicine which deals with the healthcare of the elderly. It aims to optimise the health, independence and quality of life for seniors. India is undergoing major demographic changes and we are witnessing an increase in the geriatric population. At around 80 million, we are home to the second largest geriatric population. Only China has more number of people above the age of 60- an age that is frequently used to identify the senior population. In the next few years, i.e. by 2016, their numbers will increase from 80 million to a staggering 112.9 million.
- Geriatric medicine especially frail elderly patients at risk for frequent hospitalization, increased morbidity and mortality, multiple co-morbid conditions, altered mental status including dementia, infections, incontinence, frequent falls, osteoporosis etc.
- Acute febrile episodes of unclear etiology with co-morbid conditions, associated haematological, renal, pulmonary, gastro-intestinal systemic involvement etc.
- Complicated tuberculosis, multi-drug resistant tuberculosis and other atypical mycobacterial infections in immunocompromized and elderly patients.
- Complicated Malaria, Dengue, Chickenguniya and other tropical infections.
- HIV/AIDS and associated opportunistic infections, failure of anti-retroviral therapy and its complications.
- Septicemia and septic shock associated multi-organ failure.
- Fever in ICU, multi-drug resistant bacterial infections, post-operative fever, non resolving ventilator associated pneumonia, catheter related infections.
- Fever of unknown origin.
- Fever in travellers around the world and unusual infections.
- Fungal infections like Candidiasis, Aspergillosis etc.
- Hardware infections in orthopaedics after joint replacement, bone infections, CNS shunt infections after neurological procedures etc.
- Deep seated infections like Renal and peri-nephric abscess, other intra-abdominal infections, lung abscess, cerebral abscess etc
Dr. Vidyullata Koparkar