Stem Cell Transplantation is an exciting area of medicine. It is a well established treatment for several cancers and diseases of blood for few decades. Dr. Chirag Shah has done the first successful “Autologus Stem Cell Transplant for Acute Myeloid Leukemia” in Gujarat. He has also performed maximum number of transplants in private sector in Gujarat.
Autologus Transplant (Stem Cells collected from one’s own body)
- Hodgkin’s & Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma: For relapsed / refractory cases, it is standard therapy and in most such cases, it is the only curative option.
- Myeloma: Although not curative, it is standard treatment as a part of initial therapy, as it prolongs survival substantially.
- Leukemia: Acute Myeloid Leukemia as part of consolidation therapy, to increase chance of cure in this dreadful disease.
Allogenetic Transplant (Stem Cells collected from some one else’s body)
- Several other genetic disorders, especially with single gene defects
- Aplastic Anemia
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- High Risk AML & Relapsed AML
- Relapsed ALL (Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia)
- As last resort in several advanced or refractory haematological malignancies eg. follicular lymphoma, CLL, myeloma etc