Find a Doctor
Dr. Nilesh Kantilal Oswal
Apollo Main & Apollo City Centre
- Membership of Professional Bodies:
- Member of Royal College of Paediatric and Child health (MRCPCH) UK
- Royal college of Physician and Surgeon, Glasgow, UK (RCPS)
- British Congenital Cardiac Association (BCCA), UK,
- Association of European Paediatric Cardiology (AEPC),
- Medical protection society, UK
- Indian academy of Paediatrics (IAP), India,
|Degree||University Or Institute||College or Hospital||Year|
|CCT (Paediatric cardiology)||GMC||Oct 2014|
|MRCPCH||Royal College Of Paediatric –UK||June 2006|
|Fellow of Paediatric Cardiology||Institute of Cardiovascular Disease||Madras Medical Mission Hospital, India||Nov 2002|
|MD (Paediatric)||Gujarat University||B.J.Medical College, Ahmedabad, India||Nov 2000|
|DCH (Paediatric)||Gujarat University||B.J.Medical College, Ahmedabad, India||Nov 1999|
|M.B.B.S||Gujarat University||B.J.Medical College, Ahmedabad, India||Nov 1996|
Currently working as senior paediatric cardiologist, interventionalist and in charge of paediatric cardiology department at U.N.Mehta institute of cardiology and research Centre, Ahmedabad, India since April 2016
I have been trained in Paediatric cardiology for more then 10 years in various internationally renowned centers in the world including three center of excellence of London. I have experience of working in high volume and reputed center of India. I have had extensive training in management of complex congenital heart defects. My area of interest is interventional Paediatric cardiology.
April 2016- current Assistant professor and senior interventional paediatric cardiologist,
- N. Mehta institute of cardiology and research Centre, Ahmedabad, India
July 2015- March2016 Consultant interventional paediatric cardiology
Alder Hey children hospital, Liverpool, UK
Oct 14- June 2015 Locum consultant paediatric cardiology
Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS trust, London, UK
Oct 13- Sep 14 Specialist registrar in Paediatric cardiology,
Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS trust, London, UK
Oct 12 – Oct 13 Assistant Paediatric cardiology (OOPT),
- N. Mehta hospital for cardiology, Ahmedabad, India.
Aug 12 – Sep 12 Senior Registrar Paediatric cardiology (OOPT),
Narayana Hrudayalaya Hospital, Bangalore, India
May 08 – July 12 Specialist Registrar in Paediatric Cardiology
Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, WC1N 3JH
Nov 06 – May 08 Specialist Registrar in Paediatric Cardiology
Guy’s and St. Thomas Hospital, London, SE1 7EH
Aug 04 – Feb 05 Senior House Officer, Paediatric Cardiology and PICU
The Royal Brompton Hospital, London, SW3 6NP
Feb 04 – Aug 04 Senior House Officer, Paediatric Cardiology
Alderhey Children Hospital, Liverpool, UK, L12 2AH
Oct 01 – Oct 02 Fellow in Paediatric Cardiology
Madras Medical Mission Hospital, Chennai, India
PAEDIATRICS and NEONATOLOGY
Mar 05 – Nov 06 Registrar, General Paediatrics and Neonates
South Tyneside District Hospital, South shields, UK, NE34 0PL
Aug 03 – Feb 04 Senior House Officer, Neonatology, Singleton Hospital, Swansea, UK, SA2 8QA
Feb 03 – Aug 03 Senior House Officer, General Paediatrics and Neonatology,
West Wales General Hospital, Carmarthen, UK, SA31 2AF
Apr 01 – Oct 01 Assistant Neonatologist, Arpan New born care center, Ahmedabad, India
Feb 98 – Mar 01 Resident in General Paediatric and Neonatology,
Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad, India
Feb 97 – Jan 98 Internship, General medicine and surgery, Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad, India.
- I have taught Specialist Trainees, Foundation Year doctors, under graduate and post graduate nurses, medical students and medical physiologists. I have experience of using different methods for teaching such as formal lectures (for MD courses, nurse education, echo teaching), workshops (MSc Nursing), case based teaching and discussion (departmental grand round, cardiac surgical meetings, seminar at national level).
- I am the teaching faculty member for the DM (cardiology), MSC (Nursing) and Echocardiography courses organized at the UNMICRC, GOSH and RBH.
v Paediatric Cardiology
Following general paediatric and neonatology training in India and UK, I have worked in various paediatric cardiology internationally renowned centers.
I am an excellent clinician who can provide safe and timely care to the patients. Major strengths are time management and cohesive team working.
- CARDIAC CATHETER:
- PAEDIATRIC PULMONARY HYPERTENSION
- PAEDIATRIC HEART FAILURE AND TRANSPLANTATION
- TISUUE DOPPLER AND SYNCHRONY:
- Improving patient care:
Research, Presentation and publication:
- Balloon dilatation of native coarctation of aorta in infant- short term clinical result: Oswal N, Doshi D, Jadhav N, Humane D, Sharma K, Shah K, J. Ped Res 2017 Jan 4(1): 53-58
- Clinical study of incidence of significant major aorto pulmonary collateral arteries in patient of TOF and its correlation with pulmonary artery anatomy
Doshi D, Oswal N, Shukla A, Patel P, Shah K, Int. J. Ped Res Feb 2017 4(2)
Clinical and angiographic follow-up of coronary artery fistula interventions in children: techniques and classification revisited.
Thakkar B, Patel N, Poptani V, Madan T, Saluja T, Shukla A, Oswal N, Bisnoi A. Cardiol Young. 2014 Apr 28:1-11.
- A simple surgical technique for closure of apical muscular ventricular septal defect.
Mishra A, Shah R, Desai M, Chourasiya A, Patel H, Oswal N, Rodricks D. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014 Feb 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Neither age at repair nor previous palliation affects outcome in tetralogy of Fallot repair.
Mimic B, Brown KL, Oswal N, Simmonds J, Hsia TY, Tsang VT, De Leval MR, Kostolny M. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014 Jan;45(1):92-8;
- Aberrant subclavian artery origin in tetralogy of Fallot with pulmonary stenosis is associated with chromosomal or genetic abnormality.
Oswal N, Christov G, Sridharan S, Khambadkone S, Bull C, Sullivan I. Cardiol Young. 2014 Jun;24(3):478-84.
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging predicts cardiac catheter findings for great artery stenosis in children with congenital cardiac disease.
Oswal N, Sullivan I, Khambadkone S, Taylor AM, Hughes ML. Cardiol Young. 2012 Apr;22(2):178-83.
- Midterm follow-up of arterial switch operation for transposition of the great arteries with intact ventricular septum and left-ventricular outflow tract obstruction.
Raja SG, Kostolny M, Oswal N, Afifi A, Mimic B, Sullivan ID, de Leval MR, Tsang VT. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2011 Oct;40(4):994-9.
- Outcomes and re-interventions after one-stage repair of transposition of great arteries and aortic arch obstruction.Huber C, Mimic B, Oswal N, Sullivan I, Kostolny M, Elliott M, de Leval M, Tsang V. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2011 Feb;39(2):213-20.
- Balloon dilatation for native coarctation of aorta in neonate- Feasible and effective in short-midterm follow up- Under review
- Balloon dilatation for native coarctation of aorta in children less then one year age- short –midtern result– Under review
- Role of corticosteroid in prevention and treatment of conduction disturbance after Transcatheter device closure of – Under review
- Transcatheter closure of Left pulmonary artery to Left atrium fistula in a Neonate using Amplatzer duct occluder I.
Bhavesh Thakkar, Abhishek Raval, Nilesh Oswal. J Invasive Cardiol 2014;27(6), E91-E94
- A rare case report of corrected transposition of the great arteries in association with tuberous sclerosis and cardiac rhabdomyomas.
Garg R, Thakkar B, Oswal N. Cardiol Young. 2013 Nov 19:1-3.
- Total anomalous systemic and pulmonary venous connection
Amit Mishra, Pranav Sharma, Ritesh Shah, Nilesh Oswal and Yashpal Rana, Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals published online 25 October 2013
- Aortopulmonary fistula
Amit Mishra, Ajay Chaurasia and Nilesh Oswal, Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals published online 28 November 2013
- Stenting across head and neck vessels using covered stents for persisting aortic arch obstruction.
Bentham JR, Oswal N, Yates R. Cardiol Young. 2012 Oct;22(5):610-4.
- Pacemaker endocarditis due to Haemophilus parainfluenza: case report and literature review.
Sammut P, Woodcock H, Oswal N, Kadalraja R.Images Paediatr Cardiol. 2007 Oct;9(4):15-20.
- “Interrupted arch type B with Left pulmonary artery sling: rare anomaly”– under review
Ø Repeat transcatheter device closure of recurrent rupture of sinus of valsalva aneurysm
Nilesh Oswal, Jagjeet Deshmukh, Bhavesh Thakkar. Congenital and Structural intervention, 2014, Frankfurt, Germany.
Ø Aberrant subclavian artery origin in tetralogy of Fallot is associated with chromosome or genetic syndrome
Oswal N, Sridharan S, Khambadkone S, Bull C & Sullivan I. British congenital cardiac association, Southampton, UK, 2010
- Nutritional status of children in different socio-economic status
Dr. Nilesh Oswal, Dr.Pratima Shah, Dr. Shashi Vani , June 1999 IAP (India).
“Balloon dilatation for native coarctation of aorta in neonate- Feasible and effective in short-midterm follow up- Oswal N, Garg R, Shinde A, Thakkar B. CSI- Frankfurt, Germany, June 2014
Balloon dilatation for native coarctation of aorta in children less then one year age- short –midtern result– Oswal N, Garg R, Thakkar B. CSI- Frankfurt, Germany, June 2014
Short and intermediate term outcome of antegrade ductal stenting in duct dependent pulmonary circulation with VSD- Oswal N, Raval A, Thakkar B. CSI- Frankfurt, Germany, June 2014
“Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Predicts Cardiac Catheter Findings for Great Artery Stenosis in Children with Congenital Heart Disease”. Oswal N, Sullivan I, Khambadkone S, Taylor AM, Hughes ML. SCMR, Phoenix, USA January 2010
- “PDA closure by device: comparison between Amplatzer duct occluder and new ADO II“. Nilesh Oswal, Sachin Khambadkone, Graham Derrick, Robert Yates.AEPC, Granada, Spain-2011.
- “The utilities of Lung Perfusion Studied in Children with Congenital Heart Diseases”
Nilesh Oswal, Farida Farzana, Renuka Murali, Snehal Kulkarni, K Thirumurthy, KM Cherian, Indian Heart Journal Sept – Oct, 2002; 54 🙁 5) Article No. K255
- Thesis done while post graduation “Clinical Study of Preterm Babies Delivered in our Hospital” in May 2000.
N Oswal, S.Vani, B.J.Medical College, India. November 2000.
- Work in Progress
- Evaluation of Z score for cardiac structure by echocardiography in Indian children.
- Efficacy of losartan therapy in secondary pulmonary hypertension due to congenital heart disease.
- Sub investigator for “ VSD device closure by ADO and conduction disturbance”
Clinical Governance and Audit
- “Clinical usefullness and impact of x-ray chest before cardiac catheterisation”- Presented in departmental meeting on 13/08/2014, RBH, London
- “Validation of PDA measurement on echocardiography comparing with gold standard cardiac catheterisation”- Presented in departmental meeting on 13/08/2014, RBH, London
- Presented audit “ Cardiac catheterisation before surgical repair of tetralogy of fallot ” UNMIRC, India, April 2013. Audit was discussed in joint surgical meeting and recommendations were made.
- Presented audit “Outcome of Tetralogy Fallot repair between 2003 -2008 at GOSH comparing with other institute”. June 2009. This audit was presented in Departmental meeting and specific recommendation has been discussed.
- Presented audit “Is Cardiac Magnetic Resonance a Valid Screening Tool for Great Artery Stenosis in Children with Congenital Heart Disease?” at Great Ormond street Hospital, 2011.
- Presented Audit “Re-audit of waiting time for hip USS in suspected DDH for all babies born in 2005 compared with audit of 2004” in August 2006 at South Tyneside district hospital.
- I was involved in audit for “Long term outcome of patient operated with Fontan surgery” Alder hey children’s hospital, Liverpool, 2004- I was one of the key member for this study in collecting information about patient, searching literature and preparing spreadsheet.
- I have done prospective audit of “correlation of Invasive and non-invasive B.P. measurement in new born babies of different gestation age” singleton hospital, Swansea- 2003. I was collecting data, doing statistical analysis and prepared abstract for presentation in welsh Paediatric society.
- “Neonatal Discharge Clerking by SHO from Jan 2003 to June 2003” West Wales general hospital Carmarthen-2003. Involved in preparing Performa, collecting data, statistical analysis and presenting audit with recommendation of further guidelines and doing reaudit in 6 months again.
Courses and further education:
3D echocardiography workshop, Ahmedabad December 2016
Advanced ASD device closure, Brussels, Belgium October 2014
Paediatric cardiology study day, RBH, London, UK March 2014
Intensive care management for ToF, London, UK March 2014
ECG for physician, Cardiff, UK March 2014
ASD device closure- Basic curriculum, Brussels, Belgium March 2014
Heart failure seminar, Ahmedabad, India March 2013
Echocardiography update, Ahmedabad, India December 2012
Interventional Cardiology course (Fall’s Fellow), USA December 2011
ASD closure workshop, Birmingham, UK October 2011
Echocardiography in children, London, UK October 2010
ECG in Paediatric Cardiology, Cardiff, UK May 2010
Heart Failure workshop, Birmingham, BCCA January 2010
3D echocardiography in congenital heart Disease, Southampton, September 2009
IRMER, City Hospital, Birmingham, UK June 2009