Find a Doctor
Dr. Rucha Mehta
Diabetology & Endocrinology
Education and Postdoctoral training
- March 1991-1993 Higher Secondary Certificate-Biology. University of Mumbai, India
- June 1993-July 1999 Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, Seth G.S.Medical College, King
- Edward VII Memorial Hospital. University of Mumbai, India. Graduated
- top five percentile
- June 2001-June 2004 Internal Medicine Internship and Residency, University of Illinois at Chicago-Christ Medical Center
- Sept 2005-Sep2007 Fellowship in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, San Antonio, UTHSCSA
- Oct 2007-June 2008 Post-doctoral fellow Diabetes , UTHSCSA
- 11/2012-Current Consultant Endocrinologist, Global Hospitals Mumbai
- 7/2009-10/2012: Assistant Professor, Department of Internal Medicine Director of Research-Western Diabetes Institute Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific ,Western University of Health Sciences, California, USA
- 2009-2012: Clinical Faculty at University of California, Los Angeles and VA Greater Los Angeles
- 2008 –2009 Diabetes Clinic Physician, Audie L Murphy VA Hospital, San Antonio, TX
- 2006-2009 Urgent Care Physician, Audie L Murphy VA Hospital, San Antonio, TX
- 2004-2005 Chief Resident and Assistant Professor, UIC-Advocate Christ Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- 2000- 2001 Clinical Research Coordinator, Stanford and VA Hospitals, Palo Alto , CA
- 1999-2000 Government Medical Officer, State Government of Maharashtra, India
- 2001-current American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal
- Medicine (Governing Council Member)
- 2005-current American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- 2011-current European Association for the Study of Diabetes
- 2006-current American Diabetes Association(Continuing Education committee)
- 2009-current Endocrine Society
- 2009-current Indian Medical Association of Southern California
Academic Achievements and awards
- April 2007 2nd Prize Oral Presentation National AACE meeting-Seattle, WA
- April 2007 Research Day UTHSCSA- poster 1st prize
- June 20007 NIH Preceptorship Award
- June 2005 Best Teaching Attending of the Year UIC-Christ
- April 2004 Clinical Case poster at the National ACP
- March 2003 Annual Clinical Vignette Competition, 2nd Priz, UIC.
- July 1999 Graduated Top 5% of medical students, University of Mumbai, India.
- State wide(Ranked #2 in class and #5 at State level)
- July1993-Feb 1997 Recipient of
- Ratanshaw Dadabhoy Scholarship’ in Internal Medicine
- Shirwalkar Memorial Award’ in Internal Medicine;
- Awabai Ratanshaw Scholarship in Gynecology;
- Dr. LH Hiranandani Award in ENT
POSTERS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Marjorie Molina-Carrion, Geoffrey Clarke, Sandra Martinez, John Kincade, Feng Dong, Verna Mendez, Adriana Monroy, Jesus Garduno-Garcia, Rucha Mehta*, Samia Benslimane, Aurora Merovci, Mustafa kanat, Carolina Solis-Herrera, Bailey Steven, Chilton Robert, Eugenio Cersosimo, Patricia Iozzo, Muhammad Abdul-Ghani and Ralph A. DeFronzo. Pioglitazone Improves Myocardial Glucose Uptake and Coronary Blood Flow in Type 2 Diabetic Subjects. American Diabetes Association (ADA) Meeting June 2012. Philadelphia.
- Marjorie Molina-Carrion, Geoffrey Clarke, Sandra Martinez, John Kincade, Feng Dong, Jesus Garduno-Garcia, Samia Benslimane, Verna Mendez, Adriana Monroy, Rucha Mehta*, Carolina Solis-Herrera, Aurora Merovci, Mustafa Kanat, Eugenio Cersosimo, Patricia Iozzo, Muhammad Abdul-Ghani and Ralph A. DeFronzo. Relationship between Pericardial, Mediastinal Fat and Whole body and Myocardial Glucose Uptake. ADA Meeting June 2012. Philadelphia.
- Lee J, Mehta RJ, Phung O and White S. Venlafaxine induced hyponatremia. ACOFP, March 2012. Florida.
- Mehta RJ, Ricotti A, Balas B, Gastaldelli A, DeFronzo RA, Tripathy DJ. Mechanism of Action Of Exubera to normalize the fasting plasma glucose concentration in Type 2 diabetic subjects, (Poster EASD, Lisbon Portugal 2011).
- Mendez-Valenzuela V, Mehta RJ, Tripathy D, DeFronzo RA, Abdul-Ghani MA. The Contribution of Non Insulin-Dependent Glucose Uptake to Fasting Hyperglycemia in the Non-Diabetic Range, (Poster ADA June 2010)
- Muhammad Abdul-Ghani, Rucha Mehta, Marjorie Molina, Alberto Chavez, Devjit Tripathy, Ralph Defronzo. Decreased Mitochondrial ATP synthesis in Obese Non-diabetic subjects. (Poster ADA June 2008).
- Chavez-Velazquez A, Mehta R, Abdul-Ghani MA, Frohlich V, Sathyanaryana P, Jenkinson C, Folli F, DeFronzo RA and Tripathy D Short-Term Elevation of Plasma Free Fatty Acids (FFA) Decreases Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Membrane Potential in Healthy Glucose Tolerant Subjects. (Oral Presentation ADA June 2007)
- Abdul-Ghani MA, Muller F, Liu Y, Chavez A, Balas B, Tripathy D, Mehta R, Monroy A, Folli F, Van Remmen H and DeFronzo RA. Deleterious Effect Of Elevated Fatty Acid Metabolites Concentration On Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Atp Synthesis. (Poster ADA June 2007)
- Mehta R, Abdul-Ghani MA, Molina M and DeFronzo RA. Is Non-Diabetic Fasting Hyperglycemia Explained By Impaired Insulin Independent Glucose Uptake In Skeletal Muscle? (Poster ADA June 2007, Oral Presentation AACE April 2007)
- Rucha Mehta MD, Marion Jech, PhD, Jan M. Bruder MD, Devjit Tripathy MD, PhD, Lawrence J Fowler MD, Patricia Dahia MD, PhD. Unusual Presentation of a Catecholamine Secreting Tumor (Poster AACE April 2007)
- Mehta R, deBustros A, Stein R. Heparin Induced Thrombocytopenia Presenting as Central Diabetes Insipidus. (Poster ACP April 2004)
- Dec 2010 Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nadiad, India
- April 2012 Shijiuazhuang Diabetic Kidney Hospital, China
- Nov 2009 Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, California
- April 2010 Pomona Valley Hospital, California
- April 2010 Portland Diabetes Symposium
- Oct 2010 ACP So Cal Regional meeting, Dana Point, California
- Nov 2010 Pomona Valley Hospital, California
- Dec 2010 Sterling Hospital, Vadodra, India
- Dec 2010 Visiting Professorship at MPU Hospital, Nadiad, India.
- Feb 2011 Grand Rounds Western University
- April 2012 Management of Type 2 Diabetes in the 21st century, Shijiuazhuang Diabetic Kidney Hospital, Shijiuazhuang, China
- May 2012 Role of GLP-1 Analogues in the management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus; COMP CME Day, Pomona CA
- Jan 2013 Neuro Anesthesia Forum Mumbai CME Day, KEM Hospital, Mumbai – “ Management of Diabetes Insipidus”
- Feb 2013 Central Railway Annual CME Day, Byculla, Mumbai – “Thyroid Disorders”
COMMUNITY AND LEADERSHIP ROLES
- 7/2010-Current Faculty Advisor for Western Diabetes Free clinic to SOIMA club
- 1/2012-Current Chair of the Los Angeles Chapter of the American Diabetes Association for the
- Step Out Walk Executive Planning Committee.
- 7/2009- Volunteer physician at Indian Medical Temple in Chino Hills and Buena Park
- 7/2010- American College of Physicians Governing Council Member